Friday, December 28, 2012

Are You Strong Enough to Handle Critics?

This is a quote that I have had at my desk throughout my career. Nothing has happened to make me want to type this, it just came up as I was organizing and it is a statement that I have enjoyed observing over the years: (one could also exchange the man for person)

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high achievement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
 -- Theodore Roosevelt

No comments: