Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year, New Challenges for Transportation

It's the first day of the new year so it is a good opportunity to think about new opportunities, challenges, and the hope of a new day. Having read Thomas Friedman's book The World is Flat made me a fan of his thinking about the world. I was wondering about the new book and I scooted over to http://www.thomaslfriedman.com/ because Tom Urbanik mentioned he read his new one. Last week, I read his editorial page submission in the Oregonian on Christmas Day. He stressed the importance of training teachers, educating scientists and engineers, paying for research and building the most productivity-enhancing infrastructure — without building white elephants in this new stimulus package. His final point was that John Kennedy led us on a journey to discover the moon and that Obama needs to lead us on a journey to rediscover, rebuild and reinvent our own backyard.

Just when I didn't think I could agree with an article more, he comes up with this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/opinion/28friedman.html. Very impressive thinking for just one week. So Thomas gets a link on the blog.

No comments: